Doug Coffin Supports:
Education: A high quality public education for all those in pursuit of life-long learning and continuous job training as the basis for a prosperous economy.
Collective Bargaining: Let it be known that collective bargaining and education are the only two ways to increase wages for all working Americans and ensure a decent place to work for all citizens.
A Prosperous Montana & America: Prosperity and opportunity are for all those who seek it, not just the privileged. Government must balance the need to regulate with economic opportunity.
A Clean & Healthy Montana: Let’s make the constitutional guarantee for a clean environment mean something by developing and planning for a clean future energy future, modern transportation and clean industries.
Economic and Social Justice: America and Montana should provide the opportunity for all persons to reach their dreams including wealth, prosperity, freedom and equal justice under the law. However, those who ultimately attain wealth and power have no right to deny these basic rights to others; indeed they have a responsibility to give something back to America and Montana.
Family Planning and a Women’s Right to Contraception and Abortion: It as hard to believe that there can be any question about a women’s right to use contraception that is both affordable (covered by insurance or provided free to the disadvantaged) and available. This was thought by many to be a settled issue. However, extremists who fail to recognize the needs of working women and families in the 21st century continue their attacks. Let it also be said that while reproductive rights are primarily a women’s issue, they also greatly affect the men who love them; by virtue of the absolute need for Family Planning in the 21st century economy. I will most certainly support the fundamental right for families to plan and for women to control their reproductive rights.
As a representative for House District 93 I would sponsor or support legislation to:
- Support the MEA-MFT legislative agenda that will increase funding for Montana’s schools, colleges and Universities and ensure high quality education so that Montanans can compete in the world economy.
- Shared Governance in Education: Empower teachers and professors by ensuring that they have the right to fully participate in governing our schools and universities.
- Ensure that Montana’s tax code is fair; that each person pays their fair share based on their ability to pay. Corporations and wealthy citizens should give something back to the state and country made them prosperous by paying more taxes.
- Support the Montana Conservation Voters legislative agenda for a clean and healthy environment.
- Sponsor and support legislation to open more land and access more streams and rivers to the public for recreation.
- Ensure that the most needy among us have a strong social support network; that the rights to affordable food, shelter, health care and education are basic.
- Support legislation for a single-payer health care system.
- Support or sponsor legislation to protect women’s reproductive rights and a family’s right to plan.